Wednesday, July 14, 2010

1: Keeping Grounded

For the past year, maybe even the past 2 years I have almost systematically complained about my job and where I'm at in my life now compared to where I once envisioned myself to be 5 years prior .

I work in IT (computer stuff), in an office, 8-9 hours a day everyday.
If it's not the long fluorescent lights that resemble tanning bed lamps glaring at me for 8 hours a day sucking away at the lifespan of my eyes, then it's the two 19-inch monitors that sit half a meter away from my face that will ensure eyeball death at an early age.

I try my best to make my desk feel as 'homely' as possible. Two little smiling Buddha figures, a Batman yoyo, Batman mug, a handmade candle and a stone I picked up from somewhere just aren't doing it for me anymore. Even the colourful Robotech figurine pisses me off with his same pose day in day out. This is place gets to you.

Maybe it was the fact that I hadn't taken a holiday anywhere in 2 years that contributed to the build up of all the bullshit that comes out of a negative office environment in a town already filled with negative people. I love Adelaide, but seriously this place is a breeding ground of human beings with a cynical outlook on practically every aspect of living; and the sucky thing about it is, overtime no matter how much you try to resist the urge to be forever sarcastic and snide, the shit still tends to rub off on you.

So off to the tropics, back to the land of my birth I go, away from an Australian winter and straight into a warmer environment in every sense of the word. It doesn't take long for me to remember how hard people have it there and how privileged I am to not only have legal permission to live and work in Australia but to have a secure job that pays me in one month the equivalent to six to eight months salary for some of my friends.

Three years working in the office almost squashed any of the creativity left in me and I lost sight of that vision I once had for myself. One month back to my roots, was all it took to remind me again on how I used to be, and how I appreciated the real things in life. Fuck the superficial Australian dream that suggests you buy a piece of shit three bedroom house for four hundred thousand Australian dollars. Why would I sentence the better part of my life locked into working whatever job pays the constant debt that I'll have for the next 24 years. Some people can be happy with that, I can't.. at least not yet.


2 comments:

  1. I took your blog comment virginity. har har! :p

    Negative people are everywhere, not just in Adelaide. And just for your record, my judgment is always right. I knew it, ure a nerd! Batman? Hello?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha very true, i guess the world needs negative people just as much as the positive... yin & yang?

    As you know i have quite a few nicknames, well Batman is my nerd nickname! helloo!?

    ReplyDelete